Health & Safety at Kidzeum
Learn How Kidzeum is Responding to COVID-19
UPDATE, MARCH 14, 2020:
In light of recent concerns surrounding the COVID-19 virus, Kidzeum will follow the lead of the state government and Springfield School District 186 in regard to closures and cancellations. Therefore, effective Sunday March 15, 2020, Kidzeum will be closed until the school district reopens.
The museum will continue to monitor the evolving situation and will make changes as they become necessary. All updates regarding closures, cancellations, and additional precautions can be found on our website.
All scheduled birthday parties, facility rentals and school tours during our closure will be contacted by Kidzeum staff in the order of events. For questions, email email@example.com.
We realize that school closures can be very difficult for families and educators. Beginning the week of March 16th, Kidzeum will release online educational activities for kids to do while they are out of school. These activities can be done with everyday, household items and will also contain printable worksheets and activities that parents and kids can do together.
We are seeking to continually serve as an educational resource for children, even during our closure. We are providing these online learning opportunities to help our young ones get through this challenging time. Once available, these resources can be found at kidzeum.org/learning. Be sure to check back regularly for updates.
Steps Kidzeum has taken to ensure the health and safety of our guests:
- Cleaning Procedures: In order to protect against everyday germs and illnesses, particularly during flu season, Kidzeum staff engage in extensive cleaning and safety practices on a daily basis. This includes sanitizing and disinfecting all exhibit areas daily, and throughout the day, as needed. Due to the concerns regarding COVID-19, our staff are increasing our daily cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting that already takes place throughout the day. We will continue to review our policies and procedures and adjust as needed. A list of our procedures can be viewed below.
- Monitoring Updates: Kidzeum is regularly monitoring new developments regarding COVID-19. This includes, staying up to date on new information and recommended procedures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Association of Children’s Museums (ACM).
- Sick Policy: Staff and volunteers who are sick are asked to stay home to limit the spread of illness. Similarly, if a visitor has a fever, or has had a fever in the last 24 hours, or is too sick to attend work or school, we ask that they do not visit Kidzeum.
- Reducing the Spread of Germs: Kidzeum is taking steps to remind guests to follow proper handwashing procedures. We also provide alcohol-based hand sanitizers in the museum.
- Toy, Prop and Exhibit Procedures: We encourage our guests to notify staff right away if an area or object becomes dirtied or placed in a child’s mouth. We have special bins throughout the museum for guests to leave dirtied props, so that staff may clean and disinfect them before they are used again.
Tips from the CDC Regarding Prevention & Treatment of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands often and with soap on a regular basis.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick and put more distance between you and others.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or inside your elbow and wash your hands immediately after.
- If you are feeling ill, stay home and avoid public spaces.
- Click here to view a full list of recommendations from the CDC’s website.
*Please note: Kidzeum has restrooms on each of its three floors, and hand sanitizer stations in the museum.
Kidzeum Cleaning Protocol & Sick Policy
At Kidzeum, the health and safety of our guests remains a high priority throughout the entire year. Our staff work tirelessly, and follow specific protocol, to ensure that the museum is kept a clean, safe and fun place for families to visit. See below to learn how we maintain the facility’s cleanliness.
Kidzeum’s cleaning protocol includes:
- Kidzeum staff clean and sanitize the entire museum each day. Cleaning procedures begin early, before museum opening hours and continue throughout the day and after closing.
- Our staff use safe, hospital grade disinfectant cleaner and sanitizer to clean all museum areas and props, including:
- Toys/props, pillows, stuffed animals, etc.
- All exhibit areas
- Furniture (including tables, chairs, coat racks, etc.)
- Restrooms, including sinks, toilets, changing tables, doors and handles, etc.
- Handrails, doors and door handles
- Kidzeum staff vacuum, sweep and mop floors each day and deep clean carpets throughout the year.
- Costumes, plush materials and fabric pieces of our exhibits are laundered and cleaned on a regular basis.
Kidzeum Sick Policy
Staff and volunteers who are sick are asked to stay home to limit the spread of illness. Similarly, if a visitor has a fever, or has had a fever in the last 24 hours, or is too sick to attend work or school, we ask that they do not visit Kidzeum.