Job Opening: Play Specialist
Reports to: Visitor Engagement Coordinator
Status: Part Time (8-16 hours/wk.)
Location: Springfield, Il
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Compensation & Benefits: $14/hour
About Kidzeum: Kidzeum is a wonderful family destination in the heart of historic downtown Springfield, IL., whose mission is to serve as a place of learning and discovery through play for children of ALL abilities. Kidzeum is a nonprofit committed to nurturing health and wellness, promoting science education, and to developing environmental and global awareness through innovative programs and exhibits. Learn more at www.kidzeum.org.
Position Description: Play Specialists are the first point of contact for visitors and are responsible for providing a high-quality experience throughout the entire museum property. Play Specialists focus on FUN by engaging with visitors on multiple customer service levels, including ticketing, live demonstrations, and educational programing. This position will augment the visitor experience with additional information, by creating informal in-gallery activities. Play Specialists will work collaboratively with other staff to brainstorm ideas, prepare and execute programs. Additionally, Play Specialists will maintain a safe, clean, educationally sound, hospitable, and aesthetically pleasing environment at the museum by doing light cleaning throughout their shift, such as resetting and disinfecting exhibit props, and hosting, cleaning and resetting birthday parties and their spaces.
This is a part-time position with varied hours including holidays and evenings. Kidzeum will only be open to the public on the weekends after the summer season ends. Successful candidates must be able to work both Saturdays and Sundays weekly.
Duties and Responsibilities: Play Specialists are essential to the visitor experience, so enthusiasm while performing tasks is critical. Play Specialists will:
- Project a positive image, serving as an ambassador for Kidzeum
- Complete all transactions through the Point-of-Sale system accurately and efficiently
- Be responsible for daily sanitizing, including restocking restroom
- Perform minor exhibit troubleshooting and complete weekly safety checks
- Book rentals and group sales reservations, following up with clients
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of Kidzeum’s mission, philosophy, policies and procedures
- Actively participate in all provided training classes and properly implement newly learned skills
- Recognize, appreciate and mentor volunteers; advocate for the volunteer experience
- Ensure that the Kidzeum’s rules and safety protocols are followed by all guests entering the museum
- Adhere to appropriate dress code
- Encourage communication and enhance team support/spirit among the Kidzeum staff
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Must enjoy working with children! Previous experience working with children preferred.
- 1+ year of customer service experience required
- Must be 18 or older
- Public speaking or theater experience preferred
- Have an outgoing personality and be enthused to interact with guests of all ages and colleagues
- Be open to multiple points of view and avenues for problem solving
- Degree in, or in pursuit of, Early Childhood and/or Elementary Education, or related field, a plus.
- Verbal communication skills
- Able to work with and around people of diverse backgrounds
- Must be able to walk, stand, and interact with the public for long periods of time
- Be well organized and have a close attention to detail
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule to include weekends, holidays, and special events
- The following abilities are required for the position: (a) Visually keep track of visitors, materials and exhibit functioning on the museum floor; (b) Comprehend and speak English extensively and clearly with the public; (c) Hear children’s voices; (d) Assist visitors in emergency situations; (e) Display dexterity necessary to maintain exhibits and exhibit environments; (f) Manipulate exhibit components and facility operating/maintenance equipment; (g) Stand, kneel and move among exhibits for extended periods of time; (h) Climb up and down stairs or use an elevator daily (i) Bend, kneel, climb and reach; (j) Display rapid response times; (k) Lift 25 pounds; (l) Tolerate noise and dust in the environment and handle disinfectant and cleaning materials
- Clearance of a criminal background check
- Fluency in other languages aside from English, a plus
- Other duties as assigned
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Physical requirements may include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as equipment, boxes, etc. may be included.
Application Process: Please send a resume and two references to Kaitlyn Miller, Assistant Director at Kaitlyn.Miller@kidzeum.org
Kidzeum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Additionally, we strive to make the Kidzeum community – staff, visitor base, programs, and exhibitions – representative of the diversity of the city of Springfield and Central Illinois, and to carry forth the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.