Visitor Engagement Coordinator
Job Opening: Visitor Engagement Coordinator (3/4 Time – 35+ hours/week)
Reports to: Assistant Director
Location: Springfield, Il
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start date: Immediately
Compensation & Benefits: The salary for this position is $30,000/year, and comes with health insurance and paid time off.
About Kidzeum: Kidzeum is a wonderful new family destination in the heart of historic downtown Springfield, IL., whose mission is to serve as a place of learning and discovery through play for children of ALL abilities. Kidzeum is committed to nurturing health and wellness, promoting science education, and to developing environmental and global awareness through innovative programs and exhibits. Learn more at www.kidzeum.org.
Position Description: Kidzeum of Health and Science seeks a versatile, results-oriented and exuberant professional to join our team. The Visitor Engagement Coordinator is a two-prong position, balancing visitor engagement with administrative tasks. The Visitor Engagement Coordinator is responsible for providing visitors with a high-quality experience. To do so, the Visitor Engagement Coordinator will fulfill Kidzeum’s mission through 1) managing the Front of House staff and 2) assisting in the organization and implementation of programs and events. The ideal candidate for the Visitor Engagement Coordinator will be both a self-starter who can also successfully collaborate with a team. The schedule for this position requires flexibility and is dependent on the museum’s operating hours. Availability on Saturdays and Sundays is a must, and the position occasionally requires working evenings.
This is an ideal position for candidates interested in a career in education or nonprofit management who also enjoy working with children of all ages.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage Front of House operations for Kidzeum such as:
- Provide excellent customer service to all visitors who enter the museum
- Work with the Assistant Director to coordinate scheduling and reservations of field trips, group sales and facility rentals
- Recruit, orient, train, supervise, retain, and recognize staff
- Develop strategies and analyze logistics to promote membership and merchandise sales
- Plan, build and implement special activities and live demos for museum visitors during operating hours
- Maintain inventory of gift shop merchandise and rental supplies, notifying the Assistant Director when in need of restock
- Oversee the proper functionality of the POS software system
- Create a vision for the Kidzeum Gift Shop that appropriately reflects the mission while maintaining an attractive shop appearance with effective merchandise presentation
- Work with the Director of Facilities and janitorial staff to ensure the museum, both inside and out, is free of debris and safety hazards
- Work closely with the Education Team and/or the Assistant Director to boost visitor engagement:
- Develop, plan and implement programs and special events including but not limited to the STEAM Residency Program, summer camps and Kidzeum’s annual birthday celebration
- Train staff to implement live demonstrations and special activities for museum visitors during operation hours
- Communicate with the Director of Facilities when aware of an exhibit or other part of the facility is in need of maintenance or repair
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3+ years retail management or visitor services/museum front-of-house experience
- 3+ years customer service experience
- 1+ year(s) experience working with children
- Excellent communicator who is comfortable engaging with individual visitors and large crowds
- Excellent time management skills with ability to manage a variety of responsibilities under pressure
- Excellent organizational and supervisory skills with attention to detail
- Goal-oriented with the ability to analyze data and provide action-oriented plans
- Creative thinker who possesses the skills to take a plan from inception to completion
- Ability to work well with different teams as well as independently
- Possess a friendly and approachable manner with the ability to motivate and incentivize staff to achieve their best performance
- Ability to learn a new point-of-sales system
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to speak in front of large groups
- Theatre background a plus
- Nonprofit experience a plus
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Physical requirements may include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such equipment, boxes, etc. may be included.
Application Process: Please send a cover letter, resume and three references to Kaitlyn Miller, Assistant Director, at email@example.com. Successful applicants will be asked to submit to a criminal background check.
Kidzeum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Additionally, we strive to make the Kidzeum community – staff, visitor base, programs, and exhibitions – representative of the diversity of the city of Springfield and Central Illinois, and to carry forth the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.