Visitor Engagement Assistant Coordinator
Job Opening: Visitor Engagement Assistant Coordinator (PT)
Reports to: Visitor Engagement Coordinator
Location: Springfield, Il
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start date: Immediately
Compensation & Benefits: $16.00/hour
About Kidzeum: Kidzeum is a family destination in the heart of historic downtown Springfield, IL., whose mission is to serve as a place of learning and discovery through play for children of ALL abilities. Kidzeum is committed to nurturing health and wellness, promoting science education, and to developing environmental and global awareness through innovative programs and exhibits. Learn more at www.kidzeum.org.
Position Description: Kidzeum of Health and Science seeks a versatile, results-oriented and exuberant professional to assist our Visitor Engagement Coordinator. The Visitor Engagement Assistant Coordinator is a two-prong position, responsible for helping balance front-of-house visitor engagement with administrative tasks. At Kidzeum, front-of-house responsibilities include but are not limited to directly engaging with museum visitors, operating our point-of-sales system, moving through the exhibit galleries to disinfect and organize props (toys that belong in specific exhibits), replenishing and reorganizing Nona’s Gift Shop and maintaining the appearance throughout the museum including the gift shop, bathrooms, rental spaces and the courtyard. Administrative tasks may include but are not limited to handling field trip and birthday party inquiries and follow-up phone calls/emails, taking quarterly inventory of gift shop merchandise and janitorial supplies, and running operation reports to share with museum leadership. While this position requires some office work, their schedule when the museum is open will mostly entail working at the Admissions Desk or on the floor in the exhibit galleries.
Additionally, the ideal candidate for the Visitor Engagement Assistant Coordinator will take initiative to look for ways they can improve visitor experience, solve problems as they arise, enjoy directly engaging with people, and can work independently as well as successfully collaborate with a team. Candidates must enjoy working with children and be comfortable in loud spaces and in front of large crowds. Maintaining an up-to-date CPR/AED certificate is required to maintain employment. Kidzeum will cover any costs of and schedule the training(s).
This position will require around 24 hours a week. The schedule for this position is every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and may occasionally require working evenings and/or another day to assist with a special event. Flexibility with proper advanced notice is offered.
This is an ideal position for candidates interested in a career in education or nonprofit management and enjoy working with children of all ages.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage front-of-house operations for Kidzeum under the guidance of the Visitor Experience Coordinator by doing the following:
- Provide excellent customer service to all visitors who enter the museum
- Coordinate scheduling and reservations of field trips, group sales and facility rentals
- Supervise, retain, and recognize staff
- Develop strategies and analyze logistics to promote membership and merchandise sales
- Maintain inventory of gift shop merchandise, and janitorial and rental supplies, notifying the Visitor Engagement Coordinator when in need of restock
- Oversee the proper functionality of the POS software system
- Create a vision for the Kidzeum Gift Shop that appropriately reflects the mission while maintaining an attractive shop appearance with effective merchandise presentation
- Work with the facilities, operational and janitorial staff to identify and repair safety hazards, and maintain a clean and functional museum
Work closely with the Visitor Engagement Coordinator, Education Team and/or the Assistant Director to:
- Bolster visitor engagement through the developing and implementing of weekend programs, events and live demonstrations
- Assist in the development, planning and implementing of other educational programs and special events including but not limited to the STEAM Residency Program, summer camps and Kidzeum’s annual birthday celebration
- Train staff to implement live demonstrations and special activities for museum visitors during operation hours
Coordinate with the facilities staff and Visitor Engagement Coordinator when aware of an exhibit or other part of the facility is in need of maintenance or repair as well as:
- Learn and carry out basic exhibit troubleshooting and repairs
- Assist in the basic maintenance of the facilities
- Ensure the museum, both inside and out, is free of debris and safety hazards
Other duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- 1+ years retail management or visitor services/museum front-of-house experience required
- 2+ years customer service experience required
- 1+ year(s) experience working with children required
- CPR/AED/First Aid certified a plus
- Excellent communicator who is comfortable engaging with individual visitors and large crowds
- Excellent time management skills with ability to manage a variety of responsibilities under pressure
- Excellent organizational and supervisory skills with attention to detail
- Goal-oriented with the ability to analyze data and provide action-oriented plans
- Creative thinker who possesses the skills to take a plan from inception to completion
- Ability to work well with different teams as well as independently
- Possess a friendly and approachable manner with the ability to motivate and incentivize staff to achieve their best performance
- Ability to learn a new point-of-sales system
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to speak in front of large groups
- Theatre background a plus
- Nonprofit experience a plus
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Physical requirements may include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such equipment, boxes, etc. may be included.
Application Process: Please send a cover letter, resume and three references to Kaitlyn Miller, Assistant Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Successful applicants will be asked to submit to a criminal background check.
Kidzeum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Additionally, we strive to make the Kidzeum community – staff, visitor base, programs, and exhibitions – representative of the diversity of the city of Springfield and Central Illinois, and to carry forth the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: email@example.com.