Job Opening: STEAM Educator (PT)
Reports to: Director of Learning and Public Programs
Status: Part time (20+ hours/week)
Location: Springfield, Il
Start Date: Immediately
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Hours: This position's schedule will take place primarily during the week but will occasionally require weekend availability.
Compensation & Benefits: $14/hr
About Kidzeum: Kidzeum is a family destination in the heart of historic downtown Springfield, IL., whose mission is to serve as a place of learning and discovery through play for children of ALL abilities. Kidzeum is committed to nurturing health and wellness, promoting science education, and to developing environmental and global awareness through innovative programs and exhibits. Learn more at www.kidzeum.org.
Position Description: This person’s primary responsibility will be to collaborate with the education team to develop and execute high quality content to students participating in our educational programs. Some of these projects include but are not limited to after school programs, summer camps and our STEAM Residency Program. The STEAM Educator, in conjunction with the other educators, will assist the Visitor Engagement Coordinator with planning and implementing weekend programming. An ideal candidate for this position has a background in education with children, and is a problem solver, clear communicator, and can work independently,
STEAM Residency Program: Kidzeum and District 186 has created an immersive STEM/STEAM program that is project-based and cross-curricular, combining math, literacy, science, social studies and arts in one comprehensive program. Teachers have partnered with Kidzeum educators to deliver the content in a museum setting, offering new opportunities to engage a variety of learners in a dynamic way. Throughout the school year, classes of second grade students will come to the Kidzeum for a seven-day program.
Responsibilities: Work with the education team to deliver engaging content to students who attend our program. If available, this position may also deliver content on weekends to the general public.
- Present high-quality STEM education programming and effectively manages instructional materials under general supervision.
- Under general supervision, develops instructional materials and activities.
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of effective partnerships.
- Document program evaluations and makes recommendations for improvements in a timely manner.
- Effectively executes some administrative responsibilities related to STEM education programs.
- Effectively applies basic organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Clearance of a criminal background check
- Associate's Degree, or equivalent experience required. Degree in a science field or education preferred.
- Education experience required. Experience with K-4 education preferred.
- Experience working with children required.
- Communicates effectively and can work well with a team.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to speak in front of large groups.
- Excellent time management skills with ability to manage a variety of responsibilities under pressure.
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Physical requirements may include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing, crawling, and walking. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as boxes, etc. may be included.
Application Process: Please send a resume and cover letter to our Assistant Director, Kaitlyn Miller, at Kaitlyn.Miller@kidzeum.org. Please do not contact the museum to check on the status of your application. Candidates of interest will be contacted through email or by phone.
Kidzeum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Additionally, we strive to make the Kidzeum community – staff, visitor base, programs, and exhibitions – representative of the diversity of the city of Springfield and Central Illinois, and to carry forth the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: email@example.com.