Volunteer Opportunity: Floor Attendant
Job Opening: Floor Attendant Volunteer
Reports to: Visitor Experience and Volunteer Coordinator
Location: Springfield, IL
Start Date: As Soon As Possible
Application Deadline: Open until filled
About Kidzeum: Kidzeum is a wonderful family destination in the heart of historic downtown Springfield, IL., whose mission is to serve as a place of learning and discovery through play for children of ALL abilities. Kidzeum is committed to nurturing health and wellness, promoting science education, and to developing environmental and global awareness through innovative programs and exhibits. Learn more at www.kidzeum.org.
Position Description: Engage with visitors on multiple customer service levels, including ticketing, gallery interactions, and educational programing. Facilitate the child/adult visitor interaction with exhibits and daily/special programming by encouraging and modeling the importance of open-ended and multiple outcome experiences. Ensure the museum is a clean welcoming environment for families. Augment the visitor experience with additional information, and informal in-gallery activities. Work collaboratively with other staff to ensure a warm welcoming approach to visitors. Maintain a safe, clean, educationally sound, hospitable, and aesthetically pleasing environment at the museum.
This is a volunteer position with varied hours including weekdays and weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities: The Kidzeum Floor Attendants are essential to the visitor experience, so enthusiasm while performing tasks is critical. They will:
- Project a positive image, serving as an ambassador for Kidzeum
- This job requires being customer facing for entire shifts, including standing for several hours, repeatedly bending over, kneeling, and using stairs/ elevator.
- Be responsible for floor operations, visitor safety, and exhibit/program readiness, including the cleaning/disinfecting of exhibits and program materials by following museum policies and procedures, during assigned shifts, and special events/programs, and museum rentals including birthday parties
- Facilitate and initiate interactions with adults and children to deepen their learning experiences during exhibit play and through the facilitation of programs
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of Kidzeum’s mission, philosophy, policies and procedures· Perform group orientations and follow-up procedures, as assigned
- Adhere to appropriate dress code· Encourage communication and enhance team support/spirit among the Kidzeum staff· Other duties as assigned
- Assist Visitor Services, Education/Programs, or Building/Exhibit Maintenance staff, as needed
- Work collaboratively with all museum departments
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Must enjoy working with children!
- Excellent customer service skills
- Must be culturally competent
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Must exhibit problem solving, critical thinking and troubleshooting skills
- Fluency in other languages aside from English, a plus
- Degree in, or in pursuit of, Early Childhood and/or Elementary Education, or related field, a plus.
- Theater or public speaking experience a plus
- Clearance of a criminal background check
Physical Demands & Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Physical requirements are as listed above.
Application Process: Please send a resume and a letter of interest to Kaitlyn Miller, Assistant Director at Kaitlyn.Miller@kidzeum.org
Kidzeum is an Equal Opportunity Employer.